Travelling with kids in tow can put a damper on travel enjoyment if you do not come well-prepared. I should know, because I have a three-year old kid who refuses to stay put for more than five minutes while we’re on the road. It pays to know how to deal with temper tantrums while ensuring that everyone in the trip is having the time of their life.
Here’s what works for us:
- Bring Svet’s current favorite toy to help her pass the time when she starts to get bored.
- Pack lots of snacks. I’ve proven that it also helps lessen the whining when the kid’s stomach is always satisfied.
- Know about the available amenities at stopovers beforehand.
- If travelling to unfamiliar territory, arrange for someone who knows his/her way around so you get the best of your time there.
- If you can afford for services like car hire, avail of them for better comfort of hopping from one place to another.
- Do what the kid/s want to do best. If they want to run, make sure your itinerary includes a trip to the park. For Svet, since she loves animals, we always make a point to visit a zoo or even a small animal sanctuary in the place that we’re vacationing in.
How about you? How do you ensure that kids are comfortable during travel and while on vacation?