The first thing I do upon setting up a new blog is to set up the Akismet plug-in. It is an included plug-in in every WordPress platform install, so all I have to do is activate it and get an API key from Akismet.com to make sure it will work properly against blog spammers. I have taken it for granted that everyone else knows how to activate the spam protection that Akismet offers on WordPress blogs, since that’s what I immediately do after every install, but I found out lately that there were a lot of bloggers who don’t know what Akismet is, and how invaluable it is for blog spam protection.
So here are the easy steps to activate and use Akismet on your WordPress blog:
- If you haven’t done so, activate the Akismet plug-in from your plug-ins list, located at: http://YOURDOMAINHERE.COM/wp-admin/plugins.php. Be sure to change the domain name to your own.
- There will appear a yellow notification in the upper part of your dashboard upon Akismet activation, stating that you need to get an Akismet API key from Akismet.com. Follow the link and sign up.
- There is a free and paid option. Choose what suits your needs and proceed to submitting your filled up form.
- An email will arrive at the email you specified during sign up. An API key will be identified there.
- Copy the key and paste to your dashboard where Akismet calls for it then save.
That’s it! I saw no need for screenshots as the process is pretty easy to follow. But, in the unlikely event that you encounter a problem, the comment section is open.