To date, this blog has received 5,518 spam comments. But thanks to Akismet’s 99.350% accuracy (it says so on my Akismet page), I do not have to see most of them. That number is almost as many as my legitimate comments (5,681 approved as of today) which really shows how spamming is rampant in the blogniverse. Irritating right? But like problems are an inevitable part of life, spammers also come with the territory. With the number of spammers I have encountered, I have already categorized them into:
- The unintelligible. Those that post complete nonsense, with random jumble of letters and numbers and insert their links in between.
- The semi-unintelligible. The language is recognizably English, but the string of phrases are mostly unrelated. Like a movie plot gone horribly bad.
- The righteous. Those with a mocking and/or condescending tone. I received one that said my blog looks like trash. Maybe a ploy to anger the owner of the blog enough to check out their link for additional traffic? Who knows? Obviously, I hate these types with passion.
- The playing safe. This is what I mostly get. Like, “Really useful. Thanks for posting!” or some really generic stuff. Of course, I also get them from legit commentators, but that’s another post altogether.
- The helpful and concerned. Those informing you of a supposedly broken link or a non-loading part of your blog. Not true of course, but they come across as legit, if not for the fact that they insert suspicious links on the details.
- The friendly. Those asking for exchange links and/or telling you that they have subscribed to your feeds (which of course, they haven’t).
Have I failed to mention a type? Or (God forbid), have I yet to encounter a new type of spammer not on my list? Hey, the comment section is open!