Anyone who’s ever done paid blogging knows the importance of filler posts. Some of the legitimate pay per post sites today require that sponsored posts do not come one after the other, instead, non opportunity-related posts should be sandwiched in between. SocialSpark is a case in point. Other sites do not have such requirements, but they do ask that blogs within their system maintain a certain ratio of of non-paid to paid content, to be calculated on a monthly basis. SponsoredReviews is one such site. And while some bloggers can manage to schedule several posts ahead of time, there are many people who cannot (or do not have the patience to) do that. Which brings us to the subject of hurriedly written and published filler posts, those entries which fill the void between one paid post and the other. I do not claim to be a blogging guru (let’s leave that title to marce Pehpot and Jade, shall we?), but being a master procrastinator has exposed me one time too many to the dread of not knowing what to insert in between those paid opportunities. And from those times I learned that the below items work wonderfully to serve the purpose:
- Blog memes. If you haven’t heard of memes (which, by the way, should be pronounced to rhyme with teams) by now, then you seriously have to get out under that rock you’re living in. Simply put, memes are those that spread virally around the blogosphere (modern day chain letters, if you must). Think Girls Talk and Couple’s Corner (by my marces, of course). This is actually the best type of filler post. You gain link juice and additional traffic from these, plus the fun of interacting with other participants of the meme. There are memes all over the place, so don’t worry about the day of the week. Name the day, and someone (in fact, a lot of people!) has thought of a catchy meme for it already.
- Photos. This is the easiest to publish. Just rummage in your hard drive folders for a picture (or several) worth posting or take a new one for publishing, include a description (ideally 100 words) and voila! Filler post instantané.
- Contests. Two birds in one stone. A very slim chance at winning (if winners are randomly drawn) and a filler post! Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against randomly drawn winners for a contest (aside from the fact that they can be rigged). I think it’s the other way around. Those contests have something against me, because they never let me win. 😆
- Hot Searches. You can never go wrong with keywords that people are searching for at the moment that you direly need a filler post. Go to Google Trends for ideas. Find something that you can relate to and comment on, and then blog about it. Chances of increasing your organic search engine traffic is big on this baby, if you know how to swing those hot keywords right.
- Brag. If you need a filler post, then it means you are earning online. So why not make a quick post about your latest earnings from those sites that keeps the money rolling into your bank account? A screenshot or two is all it takes, plus some figures and a referral link (like this one from IMRC. 😆 ). That’s potential for referrals for you right there, plus the fact that you are contributing to the usefulness of the Internet as a way to segregate sites that pay (courtesy of your payment proofs) and those that don’t (courtesy of you bitching about it).
That’s all I can think of at the moment. Any other suggestions for a great idea of a filler post? And oh, just so you know, this is a filler post. :haha: